Monday, July 18, 2011

Ghee Rice


This is my mom’s version of ghee rice. I remember taking this to college in my lunch box and really relishing on it. And sometimes on holidays or in the evenings it would be a one pot meal, that all of us would enjoy hot. She uses grated coconut in this recipe which adds a nice texture and taste to the dish. Very simple to make, yet tastes amazingly good, cold or hot.


It was a long long time since I had it and this time when I was there, she made it for me on two consecutive days and I thoroughly enjoyed it in 4 meals continuously!!


Here’s the recipe...

Preparation time :5 min
Cooking time : 15 min
Serves : 5-6

Ingredients:
Rice - 2 cups, Basmati variety
Water - 3 cups
Green chilies - 5-6, as per taste
Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
Ghee - 1-2 Tbsp
Pepper corns - 1 tsp, optional (adjust as per your taste)
Cumin seeds (jeera) - 2 tsp
Coconut - 1/3 cup, grated
Ginger - 1 tsp, chopped fine
Onion - 2 medium sized, chopped length wise
Salt - 1 ½ tsp or as per taste
Coriander leaves - for garnishing

Method:
• Wash and soak rice for 15 minutes.
• In a pressure cooker, heat oil and ghee and add cumin seeds and pepper corns, allow to sizzle
• Add slit green chilies, chopped onion, ginger and sauté till the onion is translucent
• When almost done, drain the soaked rice, add and mix well, frying it slightly
• Mix in the coconut, salt
• After a minute, add water and bring it to boil
• Close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook for one or two whistles, depending on your cooker
• When the pressure has come down, open the lid and lightly mix, add the chopped coriander and serve as is or with a gravy or raita
• Enjoy maaDi!


9 comments:

  1. I love neychoru :) Simple yet so yummy.. Yours looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this anytime..simple yet full of flavorful..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely looking ghee rice. You have given me a great idea for today's lunch.

    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simple yet so exotic ~ lovely recipe n pics!
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing to beat ghee rice. Yummmm....

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favorites.. need to try the coconut.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of fav rice in my rice dishes..looks absolutely yummy :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! And Thank you more for choosing to drop a line for me! Your comments are a source of inspiration to me :)