Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Carrot Muffins

Seeing a huge number of events around the blog world, I realized how infrequent I am in participating in them..... This may be because I am not so comfortable in cooking within constraints - cook this in this month, use these ingredients, and so on. Though I make a mental note when I see some event, it slips off my mind, and I realize I haven’t participated, once the event is over!
But of late, i decided to take part in as many events as possible, seeing the effort and passion with which co-bloggers host events....
Well, coming to this "Tried and Tasted" event hosted by Champa and started here, I must confess I had forgotten totally about it till last week. Luckily, I wasn't too late this time! So noted down this Carrot Muffins' recipe from Divya's blog and tried it out with some modifications over the weekend, in a hurry. I tasted it, and felt it could have been sweeter; didn’t serve it to anyone that day since we were all heading for a wedding. I didn’t have time to click pictures as well that day and just left that part of the work for the next day.

And guess what? By the time I returned home from work next evening, there were only two of them, saved for me!! I was happy that folks at home had liked it! Took pictures of the remaining two :)
Made the following modifications to the recipe, though:
• Omitted eggs - replaced it with butter and yoghurt
• Omitted the nuts
• Added Brown sugar as well as I wanted to use up some

Carrot Muffins

Preparation time : 15 min
Cooking time : 20-25 min
Makes : 12 muffins

Ingredients:
Grated Carrot - 2 cups
All Purpose Flour – 2 cups
Sugar – 1 ¼ cup
Brown sugar - ¼ cup
Melted Unsalted Butter – ¼ cup
Yoghurt - 1/3 cup
Vegetable oil - ¼ cup
Grated coconut - ¼ cup
Baking Powder – 1 tsp
Baking Soda – ½ tsp
Ground cinnamon - ½ tsp
Salt - ¼ teaspoon
Grated coconut - ¼ cup
Vanilla extract - 1 teaspoon

Method:
• Peel and finely grate carrots
• Preheat Oven to 180 degrees C.
• Line the Muffin tray with the Muffin Liner Paper Cups. I simply greased and dusted the muffin tray.
• In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon
• Add grated carrots and coconut
• In a separate bowl whisk together the melted butter, oil, yoghurt and vanilla extract.
• Fold the wet ingredients into the flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.
• Evenly divide the batter between the prepared muffin cups and bake for 20 - 25 minutes on low rack until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Mine took exactly 25 minutes.
• Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes

Tips n Tricks:
• Do not over mix the mixture. Let it remain crumbly.

Variations:
• Chopped walnuts/pecans can be added
• One beaten egg can be added to get smoother muffins, in place of butter and yoghurt
• Coconut can be replaced with crushed pineapple

Sending this to Champa's Bake-off event as well.

6 comments:

  1. What can be a better compliment than having the food u cook polished off??
    carrot muffins sound delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Muffins look lovely sumana. Soon your family is going to stop going to bakery to get any baked goodies if you keep baking like this. Thanks for the entry for both the events.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrot muffins looks yum,nice recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi sumana,
    carrot muffin looks wonderful ....very new to baking ,want to learn some nice stuff...i love to try ur recipe....
    1st visit to ur blog n i love it ...
    if u get time do visit my blog
    http://superyummyrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for trying this. Glad you liked my recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! And Thank you more for choosing to drop a line for me! Your comments are a source of inspiration to me :)