Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Palak (Spinach) Soup

So we wanted a soup for that special Sunday lunch. The first thought I get when I hear ‘soup’ is the reddish-orange ‘Tomato soup’! After a grand success of it the first time I made, I had repeated the tomato soup quite too often! So today, I decided, will not be a tomato-day! Is it not unfair not to give a chance for other soups?
But on the other hand I did not know a proper recipe for any other soup..... Hmmmmmm........ But so what? Can’t I try out something based on my instincts? Sure I can! But what???
At such times of crisis, Dee surely comes to my rescue and solves my confusion. ‘There!’ he pointed out to a bunch of fresh green spinach, ‘why don’t you try out palak soup?’ I was delighted at the idea, and wanted to try it out soon....
So made a mental recipe as to what and how it should be done, what to add, what not to, how much etc etc, as I cleaned and washed the spinach. And there I started out my venture. In about half an hour was ready an inviting big green bowl full of the soup. And in the next fifteen minutes, it was over too! And we were trying to eat out the last spoon of it from the big serving bowl!
Here’s how you make it...
Spinach (Palak) Soup

Preparation time : 5 min
Cooking time : 15 min
Serves : 4

Ingredients:
Spinach - 2 small bunches / 2 cups of chopped spinach
Butter - 1 Tsp
Black pepper - 1 Tsp
Red Chili powder - ¼ Tsp
Salt - ½ Tsp or as per taste
Water - 2 Cups, change acc to consistency
Corn flour - 1 Tbsp
Fresh cream - 1 Tbsp

Method:
• Heat butter in a pan and add black pepper
• Once the peppers sputter, add the chopped spinach
• Cook till done, sprinkling water if necessary
• Let it cool for a few minutes
• Grind the cooked spinach adding water if necessary, to make a fine paste
• Strain the puree to a vessel
• Add salt and chili powder and allow to boil for 2-3 minutes
• Mix cornflour with half a cup of cold water without lumps and add it to the boiling soup
• Add enough water so that a right consistency of soup is maintained – neither too thick nor too thin
• Let it boil for a couple of minutes more
• Put off the heat and add fresh cream and stir well
• Serve hot

Variations:
• A small onion can also be added to give a different flavor


2 comments:

  1. many a times its the recipe that we made it without following any recipes turns out to be a winner! and it's so true in ur case. lovely looking palak soup. it's my FIL's fav soup on this planet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey good idea... palak soup... will try soon.... how about adding some garlic to butter as well....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! And Thank you more for choosing to drop a line for me! Your comments are a source of inspiration to me :)